Monday, May 26, 2014

Kapalua Beach, Maui

Cattle egrets are very hard to get a close shot and we did not have a decent chance in our last visit to Big Island two years ago. These days we are having a relaxed family time (as relaxed as we can get with a high stamina level toddler) at Maui but this beautiful egret is definitively teasing me. I see it everywhere I go (at the beach near the apartment, at the golf court in front of our apartment ... even in my dreams. lol). I believe he is more familiar with people that the ones we saw hanging out with the cattle at Big Island since he uses to hunt for lizards at the golf court and near the apartment, so I have decided to stalk him as a hobby from now on. So bad I did not bring with me the big lens for the camera ... well, this way is going to be more fun!

 Here it is the Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis)
Here are some of the lizard that are very common at the garden surrounding the apartment and the golf course. The little lizards are very likely what that the beautiful bird is up to.

Green Anole (Anolis carolinensis)
 The little one was repeatedly protracting and retracting its dewlap.
Brown Anole (Anolis sagrei)
Since we have jet lag, we get the chance to see this "little"fellow at 5am. This snail was astonishing huge and it is probably a Giant African land Snail, although it is hard to tell since I don't know much about snails and it was really dark. There is a interesting site explaining stories about unique snails in Hawaii, some of them prey on other snails and slugs (yes, predators of their own species!!!)
The same site also explains some curious details about the lizards mentioned above.
Other than that we are having a extremely beautiful family time at the island. Here are some examples (although I don't use to post family pics, this is one exception due to my happiness :)


No comments:

Post a Comment